“Eric, what are you doing to your blog?!”
“Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
“Pursue with passion, love with conviction; Persevere with integrity, and succeed without agenda.” – Myself
Let me preface this: I get bored sometimes. And when I get bored, I tend to start messing around with this here blog. As you can see. So, in that light, this is what’s going on here, and these are my explanations, valid or otherwise.
- What’s with the new theme? I thought the last theme, Freshy, was workable, but the gray-out part got a little old. Also, there was way too much orange in it for me, and it seemed a little sci-fi for my taste. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely a versatile and useful blog theme here on WordPress.com, but it didn’t serve the purposes that I want now. I believe this theme, Regulus, looks a little more professional, a little cleaner, and it gives me more control of the overall appearance.
- You changed the title? Yes, I did in fact change the whole title of my blog. It doesn’t necessarily signal a shift in the posting themes, but it does reflect the fact that I will be graduating soon, and nobody really calls me “ET” anymore. Besides, I hate that movie anyway.
- What does the title mean anyway? Honestly, I got the title from a quote on my Facebook profile (judge me harshly, I know). It’s from Niccolo Machiavelli’s seminal work The Prince, and the full quote is at the top of this post. It combines the dichotomy in my life: I am outrageously ambitious and long to be successful in whatever I do, but I also desire to fail spectacularly at something. Not to exactly hit rock-bottom, as it were, but to actually learn from a huge mistake. To see life from a different perspective. And these are the kinds of mistakes/failures that I’d want to make: ones of ambition instead of sloth. To pursue “life and liberty, love and happiness,” even if that means taking risks that no one believes are worthwhile. Which leads me to…
- You even took the time to change the subtitle! Yes, yes I did. “My random musings on life” kinda sells my opinions, thoughts, and musings a little short. They’re not always so random. This subtitle comes more from the statement of purpose that I outlined for myself during my junior year (also at the top of this post). I spent a lot of time figuring it out, cutting it down to its naked honesty. I have a problem (as you’ve noticed) being economical with my words, so I thought it would be a good challenge to make this statement as short as possible. I’m trying to live this out every day — don’t always succeed — and I believe if I manage that, I’ll be doing just fine.
- I love the new header picture! Thanks! Me too. It’s not mine.
That should be all the changes to the site for the near future. I’ll also try my best to categorize all my posts so they’re easier to navigate through. Let me know what you think!